Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I'm so spoiled...

Yesterday, I went to visit my "car guy," the one who sold me my used Lexus a year or so ago. I had just begun a cushy new job, and I thought, "What a great affirmation for my new prosperity." So, I bought it. It is comfy, starts without fail and is extremely quiet - no road noise. Ahh, the silence.

A few months later, the cushy job went away, and I was back to freelancing with a much larger car note than I would like to have, especially considering my previous car was paid off. But, I struggled through for more than a year now, paying it, and paying a premium for the full-coverage insurance required by the bank, and paying larger gasoline bills than I'm accustomed to.

Well, the last few weeks I've been thinking I'd like to scale back into a fuel-efficient economy car with a lower car note, a newer model, and get back to basics. So that brings us to yesterday's trip to the car broker - I use a broker, not a car dealer. It's my laziness. He does everything for me, and he's in the neighborhood. So I discussed my options, and he said he had a 2002 Mazda 4-cylinder with all the bells and whistles for about half my current car note. What the heck, I'm not keen on Mazdas, but I should at least drive it and see.

It was very clean with power everything (like my spoiled butt likes it). It started right up, and had a nice quiet motor. Then I pulled out of the driveway and drove it around a few blocks. Only one problem, it rode pretty rough, but not too bad - however, the road noise was horrible.

Now I can't decide if my peace and quiet is worth the extra money or not. It's depressing. I love my Lexus, but champagne taste on a cheap merlot writer's budget takes its toll on me. I like to think of myself as a simple girl, but I can't help liking my comforts.

Maybe I can get a cheaper apartment and keep my Lexus. No, it's not really practical, and I barely drive anyway. It's just transportation.

Want to buy a nice 98 Lexus EX? Only $10,000. Only 75,000 miles on it. Come on, any takers? I really want to sell it, but I am really spoiled to the comfort.

Sighhhhh.

No comments: