Monday, March 14, 2005

Past Life - this Life

I just found on the Web that my old friend Nancy Patchen has not only published her first book, but completed her second and posted it online for all to read. It is a chronicle of her Journey through Timeless India. I got so engrossed, that I read three chapters before I realized how tired my eyes were getting. You can read it at: http://www.timelessindia.us/ (Note: sometimes Nancy supercedes the book with info on the aquifer she's trying to save from pollution. If you don't find it. E-mail her from the site and let her know you want to read it.)

Nancy lives a magical life. She claimed it for herself when she decided to explore the Hindu philosophies and to live in the Ashrams of India and write a book about Swami Chinmayananda. She used to work for a year or two here in the U.S., save her money and go live in India for several years following her heart. I'm really impressed with her writing, and it spurs me on to complete my journey journals.

I first met Nancy when I was publishing The Rising Sun monthly journal of metaphysical pursuits in Houston, TX. She volunteered to help with the magazine. Having had many volunteers who never showed up, I told her when I'd be doing the work and if she showed up I would teach her what I know.

She showed up, and I said on that very day, "I'll teach you what I know, and then you can take over when it's time for me to quit doing this." And that's exactly what happened. She helped me until I was ready to move on, and she took over the publication. She did a good job too.

Then she went back to India. When I was fretting with the corporate chaos, I used to get letters from her saying how she was spending the next month meditating among mango and cashew groves, or that an elephant got loose in the marketplace and tore down all the stalls. I hadn't yet gone on my spiritual journeys, and I envied her freedom and the peace she seemed to have. Now I just feel the kindship of one who knows what it is like to follow a thread that just keeps leading your farther and farther from the mainstream.

I haven't seen her in years or even corresponded with her. I sent her an e-mail tonight. I hope to hear from her and reconnect with a fellow traveler. Meanwhile, her book is great, well written, intelligent, compelling and thoughtful. Just as I always knew it would be.

Check it out. http://www.timelessindia.us/

------------------

Update: E-mail response from Nancy Patchen of timelessindia.us (still crusading)

Sandikins, How absolutely great to hear from you!!! I remember when I was in Sedona I phoned you and a person told me that you were in VA.... that must have been at least 8 years ago.

I live in Green Valley, a small retirement community south of Tucson. I have taken on the onerous task of fighting the local copper mine which is polluting our drinking water... That's www.savethesantacruzaquifer.info. It's been a trip, I thought I was doing something great for the community (and the very elderly community is grateful), but Department of Environmental Quality, Phelps Dodge mine and local water company--all are furious with me. All for the same reason. I'm putting out information to everyone!

I just filed for a non-profit corporation and hope to get environmental grants, so I can go around Arizona and warn people of this same problem in other areas.
Lots of love and good wishes, Nancy

-----------------------------

No comments: